Acts 12

Acts 12:1–17. Peter and James put God first
Acts 12 shows that Peter and James put God first in their lives, regardless of the punishment they might receive. Why is it so important to love God and place Him first in our lives? Elder Lynn G. Robbins of the Presidency of the Seventy related the following experience that helped him understand the importance of what direction we face in our lives:
“‘Which way do you face?’ President Boyd K. Packer surprised me with this puzzling question while we were traveling together on my very first assignment as a new Seventy. Without an explanation to put the question in context, I was baffled. ‘A Seventy,’ he continued, ‘does not represent the people to the prophet but the prophet to the people. Never forget which way you face!’ It was a powerful lesson.
“Trying to please others before pleasing God is inverting the first and second great commandments (see Matthew 22:37–39). It is forgetting which way we face. And yet, we have all made that mistake because of the fear of men. In Isaiah the Lord warns us, ‘Fear ye not the reproach of men’ (Isaiah 51:7; see also 2 Nephi 8:7). In Lehi’s dream, this fear was triggered by the finger of scorn pointed from the great and spacious building, causing many to forget which way they faced and to leave the tree ‘ashamed’ (see 1 Nephi 8:25–28)” (“Which Way Do You Face?” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 9).
Acts 12:5. “Prayer was made without ceasing”
President Thomas S. Monson expressed his gratitude for those who pray for him and the leaders of the Church:
“I express my thanks to you for your kindnesses to me wherever I go. I thank you for your prayers in my behalf. I have felt those prayers and am most grateful for them” (“As We Gather Once Again,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2012, 5).
“I love you; I pray for you. I would ask once again that you would remember me and all the General Authorities in your prayers. We are one with you in moving forward this marvelous work. I testify to you that we are all in this together and that every man, woman, and child has a part to play. May God give us the strength and the ability and the determination to play our part well” (“Until We Meet Again,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2011, 109).
Acts 12:5. “Prayer was made without ceasing”
President Harold B. Lee gave the following insight regarding offering mighty prayer:
“You’ve got to desire it with all your soul! You’ve got to have all the intensity of which you are capable and a desire that this is the most prized thing in all the world for which you seek!” (Teachings of Harold B. Lee, ed. Clyde J. Williams [1996], 125).
Acts 12:21–23. The death of Herod Agrippa I

Herod Agrippa I was the nephew of Herod Antipus, who killed John the Baptist, and also “the grandson of Herod the Great. He was generally popular with the Pharisees because he was careful to observe Jewish customs. It may be for this reason—to be popular among the Jews—that he ordered the death of James (see Acts 12:1–2). Agrippa died at the age of 54, in A.D. 44, the same year James was martyred. Luke saw Agrippa’s sudden death as divine retribution, administered by an angel of the Lord” (New Testament Student Manual [Church Educational System manual, 2014], 302; see also Bible Dictionary, “Herod”).